Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sick-week

Last week was quite a loss for me. I spent just over 7 days completely grounded with a virus. For me (a workaholic) taking one day off is difficult, never mind a whole week. It was a daily struggle to enjoy life without being productive. It makes me realize how strongly happiness is tied to productivity. And therefore, unproductiveness breeds depression. Last week, I really tried to fight that cycle, accept the fact that my body needed a rest, and try to look at life in a different way. It was a good lesson for me. As much as my work is an expression of who I am, it can also be a distraction from certain parts of me that I would rather not face. In the stillness and silence of being sick, there lies a completely different way of life. We are really not in control at all. Viruses and other natural forces disrupt our plans and humble us. All of life is fleeting and changing, and for that reason it is essential we lead a life that holds true to our values and feeds an inner peace. Because in those moments when life shakes us to our core, it is all we will have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment